Tech editing or technical editing of a knitting pattern comprises of both technical and mathematical checking and proofreading/copy editing of the pattern. The process includes checking that
• all numerical & countable measures match and work (stitch and row counts, effects of decreases and decreases, relationship between gauge info and measurements etc.)
• all terms are correct and explained adequately
• all abbreviations are correct and used consistently
• the charts work as such and match the written instructions (if given)
• all graphics work and match the pattern
• all written instructions are logical and all relevant information is given
• the pattern is consistent from beginning to end
In addition to checking the numerical and technical matters
• typos and spelling errors will be identified and marked
• you'll get suggestions on style and overall clarity of the pattern, if needed
• yardages will be checked if you so wish and provide the information needed for the calculations
The tech editing process usually consist of two editing rounds - Round 1 is for providing the designer feedback to improve the pattern and Round 2 for verifying the changes made and to ensure that everything now is as it should be. Further editing rounds are of course always possible if needed. In addition to the actual editing rounds, my service also includes a quick complimentary read-through just before the pattern is launched, if you so wish. Having an extra pair of eyes to go through the pattern at this stage is always a good idea.
The pattern is provided in electronic form (PDF, Word document etc.) and the edits are made directly on the pattern file. When working on a Word document, the Track Changes functionality is of course kept on to keep my edits traceable. If you have a style sheet or style guide available, please send it along with the pattern to provide information on all details of your personal style of writing patterns. However, a style guide is not an obligatory tool and the style will usually become evident based on the pattern itself. Of course, you can always let me know about the most important details just by giving the info along with the pattern. Whether there's a style guide available or not, I will always value your personal voice as a designer along the process.
Tech editing service is available in the following languages:
The rate for tech editing is 35 €/hour, charged in 15 min increments (+ VAT 24% for EU customers without a VAT number and all Finnish customers). The minimum charge is per 30 min.
Get in touch for further details and an estimate of the turnaround time needed for your pattern! In order to give you an estimate, I will need to see the pattern. You can send it by email or as an attachment via my contact form. Thanks!
"Tuija tech edited a shawl pattern for me and I was completely satisfied with her work. Her attention to detail is admirable and her edits very thorough and insightful. She was able to get into the knitter’s mind, highlighting possible pitfalls in the pattern from this perspective. Even if it wasn’t a very complex pattern to begin with, I feel like my shawl pattern improved manyfold after she was done editing it. I would absolutely recommend Tuija’s tech editing services for any knitwear designer.”
Susanna Winter, Talvi Knits